RENEWAL of your Captain's License requires the following:
Go to the Coast Guard website to obtain the required forms for license renewal: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc.
Click on "CHECKLIST" on the top of the page, then "Forms" option - you can get all forms needed here. Your Captain's License is good for 5 years from the date of issue. You have a 6th year "grace period." You are not permitted to use your license during the 6th. year. Don't procrastinate, renew a few months before your license expires! See Part 1 and Part 2.
Prepare your paperwork for submission to the Regional Exam Center (REC). Keep originals, SEND COPIES to the Coast Guard.
- As of 19 December 2011, the Coast Guard has made changes regarding the Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC):
If you have a valid or expired TWIC card you must send a copy front and back with your renewal application. If your card has expired; you may be exempt and might not have to get it renewed. See top of page 5 of the application CG-719B. ***Note-ALL ORIGINAL APPLICANTS MUST HAVE A CURRENT TWIC CARD. https://www.tsa.gov/
- Coast Guard Application for Merchant Mariner Document form CG-719B. Copy only. Complete pages 4, 5 and 6. Any notary can administer the oath that is on the very bottom of page 5. The applicant and the notary will sign the top of page 6. Download a sample OATH form - go to "FORMS" then "MISCELLANEOUS FORMS" on the CG website: http://www.uscg.mil/nmc
- Complete a Small Vessel Sea Service form for each vessel you are claiming time on. Document 360 days boating experience within the last 5 years. Include proof of ownership for the vessel if self owned. If it is not self owned, the registered owner must also sign form. Copies only, keep originals in your file..
- SAMSHA Drug Test-Form CG719P (Cannot be over 6 months old) Copy only, keep originals in your file. *NOTE- According to 46 CFR 16.105, all licensed captain's and their crew are required to join a random drug testing consortium. In that case, you just need to have a letter from the consortium. See the following link for FAQ's. https://www.uscg.mil
- Physical - Form CG719K (Cannot be over 12 months old) Copy only, keep originals in your file
- Copy of your current license (front & back)
- $95.00 Evaluation user fee: Pay via credit card or bank account using https://www.pay.gov.
IMPORTANT - PRINT AND INCLUDE YOUR PAYMENT RECEIPT AS PROOF OF PAYMENT.
You do not need to renew CPR and First aid for renewal.
PART 2 IMPORTANT!
The MMC License Application packet (a through g above) must be submitted to any Regional Examination Center (REC) and may be delivered by mail. In person visits are no longer required. DO NOT submit your application package directly to the National Maritime Center (NMC) as this will result in delays. If you do not send a copy of the TWIC card the Coast Guard will return your application to you.
If any of the items are missing (b through g), you will be provided a "Notification of Incomplete Application" letter and will have 60 days to provide the missing information. If the missing information is not provided within the 60 day period, your application will be returned to you.
"The carriage of any passenger for hire on the navigable waters of the United States require that an individual licensed by the Coast Guard operate the vessel. Properly licensed Captains may carry up to six passengers aboard an un-inspected passenger vessel, provided they meet federal safety regulations. To further ensure the safety of potential customers, vessels carrying more than six passengers for hire are inspected annually by the Coast Guard and must display an approval decal and Coast Guard Certificate of inspection."
Taken from U.S.C.G. Marine Safety Newsletter, September 2000.